Frequently asked questions

I can not find my entry

After you added an entry into the system you recieve an email. If you follow the link in the email, you should see your entry and will be able to change it, unless your publication appointee has already released the entry.

Before the publication appointee has released the entry, entries are only accessible for you and members of your group. In these cases ther is a "restricted" text on the left hand side of the record, and you need to login to access the detail page. Moreover such records are part of the "User collection". You can see the collection, a record belongs to in the lower part of the detailed view under "The record appears in these collections".

As soon as the record has been released by the Editor, the collection "user" is removed and "Editor" or finally "Public records"
and "Publications database" appear.

A few minutes after you see "Editor", the record will be searchable.

What about conference contributions, which will be published later as journals or books ?

These items must be entered twice. First as a conference contribution and after publication in a journal or book once more in that categorie.
NB: To import the data of the conference contribution select a new entry and use the import link at the upper part of the input form.

What happens with an erratum in a journal?

If the original entry has not been released yet, You should add the fulltext of the errata and/or the corrected version of your paper into the system and use the "additional information" box to reference the erratum.

If the entry has already been released, issue a change request giving also the reference of the erratum. We ask you to submit the corresponding fulltexts via e-mail to

My entry is already in INSPIRE. Why can't I just import it ?

You can (for the time being as long as it has an arXiv number)! Just click on import in the upper part of the input form and enter the arXiv number (e.g. hep-ph/0604001) into the input Box. You also can use the INSPIRE-Import. Enter the INSPIRE-Number into the input Box.

What about reports from other institutes where DESY employees are authors (e.g. CERN report, ...)?

These are internal reports of the corresponding institute. They must be entered as internal reports. Enter the series title in the box "Minute Series".

Where do I find more help on the LaTeX syntax

All special characters, equations etc. have to be entered as LaTeX symbols. You may find extensive information on LaTeX here. A comprehensive list of symbols is available, too.

Online-only proceedings What are the "publisher" and the "publisher's city" in case of an online-only proceeding? Publisher: Consult the imprint (or similar) of the website to obtain this information. In the rare cases that this fails use the name of the site (e.g. JACoW for conferences published on the JACoW website

Publisher's city: Use the city associated to the website or a contact person (can unsually be obtained from the imprint or similar). (Geneva for JACoW conferences)

Volume: Leave blank if not available.

Publication Year: Year of the conference.

Pages: Use the number of pages or enter 0 if the number of pages is unclear.

Tip: Please use the DOI-/ or INSPIRE - Import when it's possible.
Online-only Journal Articles

Some journals do provide page numbers. Either because the article is not printed (yet) or because it is an online-only journal. In this case do not enter the number of pages in the "page number field", because this might lead to wrong citations when the article will get a starting page assigned later. It is better to enter (-/ or *) in these cases. If you know that the journal will not assign page numbers (e.g. PhysRev D) you should use another id which make the citation unique, e.g. article number. You will usually find more information on the publishers website.

Full Text May I add full-text to the database?

Store your fulltext in the database
Please upload your fulltext in the pubdb.
The DESY library will checking the rules for the Open Access status.
In case of closed Access journals, for the most publishers, the post referee version is available for free Open Access.
For this records the DESY library will inform you for sending the post referee version.